Scenes From the Yarn Chest

The confessions of an addicted knitter.

(I do commissioned work. If you're interested, just ask)

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Curiosity

Often, when I knit on the subway, I find people staring at me, or asking me questions about my knitting (how long have I been a knitter, what am I working on). Sometimes they're a crocheter or a knitter and have stories as well. Once, I was on the train, just a few weeks after I had learned and an older Chinese woman looked at me and my knitting. She watched me for a few minutes, and eventually reached over and grabbed my knitting away from me. She took it and showed me how to hold the yarn properly, so it slid through my fingers and I wouldn't have to pick it up and loop it around the needle every time. Once I got the hang of this, it made my projects go so much faster.

Tonight, on my way to meet a friend for dinner, I was working on my latest project, a sushi pillow, when two guys in their twenties sat down on the bench opposite mine. The one closest to me asked how long I had been knitting, then said he didn't think he could ever do it. Then he said, "I'd like to try it but I wouldn't want to screw up your project." I looked at him, and told him "don't worry about it. Here, I'll show you." Of course, I was purling, instead of knitting, but I really think people overcomplicate the purl, so I figured, I'd just show him. I showed him how to do it, then I put it in his hands and let him try. Though he looked a bit lost, I think he got the gist of it. I took it back, showed him two more stitches, and he tried again. Just as he was about to get it, he arrived at his stop, and he had to go. Though I don't think he'll become a lifetime knitter, I love those moments when you can break the chilly New York ice.

2 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Hey, thanks for the comment on my site! As far as the lucky wrap goes, if I'm understanding correctly, you are starting first with the sleeves. Are you ending up with too many stitches? Yarn over's should only make one extra stitch because you only wrap it around the needle once. If the problem is that you end up with more than two stitches at the end, but not enough stitches to do another repeat, then I'm hitting that problem too, but since the seam of the sleeves will be somewhat concealed on the inside of my arm when I wear the wrap, I'm not too worried that there will be a small bit more stockinette on the edge than it looks like there should be.

I hope this helps! Thanks again for dropping by, I'll come by your site to see how your wrap is coming along!

Lizzie

 
At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very intersting site. Nana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home